Want a Cleaner Mouth? Tips for Making that Happen with Tongue Cleaners

tongue cleaners Most Americans have problems with their gums or teeth. More than 75% of American adults have gingivitis (early gum disease) or advanced gum disease. Approximately 47% of all Americans have some form of periodontal disease. This means nearly 50 million Americans suffer from mild, moderate or severe periodontal disease. Most people brush their teeth the way they should, but not at many floss as recommended. The problem is that while brushing can take care of 70% of the cleaning that needs to be done, flossing can take care of the remaining 30%.

Yet while many people focus on their teeth, not as many pay attention to their tongues. The solution to that is to use a device called a tongue cleaner, which can help improve oral hygiene and dental health.

How to Get Your Mouth Healthier with a Cleaner Tongue:

  • Clean your tongue cleaner before and after you use it
    Tongue cleaners can be attractive places for bacteria to live and grow. Before you clean your tongue with the tool, you should make sure it is clean.
  • Clean your tongue often
    Tongue cleaners should be used every time you brush your teeth. This can help you improve your breath by reducing the amount of bacteria in your mouth. Most dentists recommend bushing at least twice a day. Just add tongue brushing to your daily routine to improve your dental hygiene.
  • Use the proper technique to clean your tongue
    Brush from the back to the front. Make sure you scrape the entire tongue surface, not just the middle. Get the top and sides of your tongue to be as clean as they can be. It can be hard to get to the very back of the tongue but that is the most important part if you are going to get problem areas for bad breath. Do not press to hard as this can cause damage and be painful.
  • Get the right cleaner
    Plastic tongue cleaners are much less harsh than metal ones. Flat tongue cleaners are less likely to make you gag as you clean the very back of your mouth.
  • Augment your routine with a good mouthwash
    If you really want a clean mouth, use a mouthwash after your brush in the morning and the evening. This can reduce the amount of bacteria and lower your chances for tooth decay and bad breath.

It does not matter if you choose to brush your tongue before or after you brush and floss your teeth, but it is important to make it a part of your daily routine. It may take some getting used to if you are new to tongue brushing, but the more you do it, you will start to get used to it and you will definitely enjoy the benefits that accompany a cleaner mouth.

Oral and dental hygiene is very important to your overall health. More than one quarter of adults aged 20 to 64 have cavities that have not been treated. Most people do not visit their dentist twice a year as recommended by the American Dental Association. While the reasons for this vary from being afraid of dentists to not having the money to afford regular cleanings. It is possible to take steps yourself to keep your mouth healthy and clean. Brushing and flossing your teeth is the first step in proper caring for your teeth. Using tongue cleaners and good mouth washes can bring your oral hygiene routine to the next level.

Leave A Comment