Americans care a lot about how their teeth look. It has been estimated that more than 94% of people in the United States think bad looking teeth can have a negative impact on their social and romantic lives. Another 74% say this problem can lead to problems with their career. Despite all of this, many people around the country do not go to the dentist every six months as recommended, says a dentist in Coral Gables Miami. There are a number of reasons it is a good idea to make time for these appointments as they can help people live healthier lives.
- You can be screened for oral cancer. There are a number of ways this serious problem can manifest itself. When you take the time to visit a dentist in Coral Gables Miami, or elsewhere, you can get a professional oral cancer screening that can save your life. The earlier any kind of cancer is detected, the better the chances are of a full recovery. Oral cancer can be very easy to treat when it is caught very early on. The professionals at the dentistry office have techniques to look for and find cancer before it has caused any symptoms. These tests are completely pain-free.
- You cannot clean your teeth as well at home. No matter how diligent you are with your brushing and flossing routine, there is no way you can get the same amount of plaque and tartar off of your teeth. These substances can and will lead to dental cavities. You can get rid of some of the plaque in your mouth but once it has hardened into tartar, you need to go to a dental practice to get that off. It is much more comfortable to get a deep cleaning done than to have a cavity filled. Also when you go to the dental office every six months, the cleanings they do are not as intense.
- They can help with gum disease In addition to making your teeth look and feel terrible, gum disease has the potential to cause a lot of other health problems. The way this works is simple. Tartar buildup causes infection at the point where the tooth is connected to the gum. That forces a space to develop between the gum and the tooth. This early form of gum disease is often referred to as gingivitis. Left untreated, this can cause the gum to deteriorate. From here, people can experience soreness, bleeding, and swelling and can lead to the bone being compromised. When it gets this far, you have to see a gum specialist to help with the problem. This can be avoided by going to your regular dentist in Coral Gables Miami regularly.
- They can help you with your bad habits. When you are seen by a dentist in Coral Gables Miami, they can work with you on any bad habits you may have that impact your teeth. One of these is smoking but there are others, many of which go unnoticed by the person doing them. For instance, people may not know they grind their teeth in their sleep until evidence of his is found by a dentist. Other bad habits are:
- Using too much pressure when the teeth are brushed.
- Drinking too much coffee and other beverages that stain the teeth.
- Chewing ice and other hard materials.
- Nail biting.
- See deeper problems with X-ray technology. As with broken bones and the like, the x-rays used at the dental office can see cavities and other problems that may be lurking under the surface of the teeth. Aside from cavities, they can see teeth that are impacted, cysts, bone decay, and even tumors that can in the bone or surrounding tissue. When these problems are caught via an x-ray exam, they are being caught early enough to make the treatment a lot easier and more successful.
There are a number of reasons people do not like to go to the dentist. For many, the main issue that keeps them from seeing a dentist in Coral Cables Miami is fear. The thing is that the less you see a dentist, the more intense your visits will be. As you go, the less stressful your dental visits will become.